Getting your child’s focus and attention can be a really difficult task. Providing them with a learning environment is a must for their overall development
5-steps to keep your children motivated:
- Make learning fun – Activity-based learning can be a game-changer for your kids. Using various activities to drive home learning can help kids stay motivated. Activity-based learning helps kids learn from their experiences. While the activity in itself might feel like a fun game, children are most likely to retain their learning from the activity outcome. Activity or game-based learning has evolved a lot over the past few years and has come to be more inclusive and quite scalable. This kind of learning provides children the opportunity to develop multiple faculties at the same time. Activities engage students better and make sure that everyone participates and takes away a unique experience.
- Understand your child’s learning style – Getting acquainted with your child’s learning style can help you customize the learning experience for your kid. Different learning styles have different requirements. For example, visual learners do well with videos and demonstrations, while kinetic learners understand better when concepts are shown to them through games and such activities. Children often lose interest in learning when they are unable to understand the key concepts. This might happen because of a one-dimensional approach to learning that the education system has adopted so far. In education, we must remember that one size does not fit all. Every child is unique and has unique learning requirements.
- Encourage curiosity – Children are naturally curious about their surroundings, and encouraging this curiosity can help you keep them motivated to learn much more. Pose questions that they will want to answer. Do not trivialize their questions and help them understand how things around them work. It is a monumental task to engage curious kids, but when children ask questions, you know that they are more susceptible to learning.
- Adopt a holistic approach – Learning cannot happen in a vacuum and thus should not be taught as such. Having a holistic approach to learning can increase the chances of it being received well by children. A holistic education means that you stress not only on academics but also on developing other aspects such as ethics. The holistic approach focuses on physical, mental as well as emotional development. Teaching children how to deal with the various changes in themselves and their surroundings can enrich their learning experience greatly.
- Enable peer learning – A great way to keep children engaged in learning is by forming study groups or learning partners that they can get help from or provide help to them. Working with a partner will help them understand the importance of working in a team, and constant engagement with another individual will help them learn many valuable life lessons as well. Being able to learn from each other can push children to try harder to be at the same level of learning as their peers.
Many schools have started adopting these methods to keep children motivated in their learning journey. Schools such as DPSG, one of the best CBSE schools in Gurgaon, now known as Gurugram, is focusing on new ways to make learning interesting for its students. The school is committed to a better learning environment and overall development for all its students.